1. The local elections have come to an end
(1) The local elections for public officials, which is held once every four years, and the national referendums were officially held on Saturday, after which ballot boxes were opened, and votes were counted. This year’s elections were incorporated with ten additional referendum proposals. As a result, more people showed up at the voting office and waited in line for longer periods of time, which gave rise to some unexpected situations. However, the voting conditions in our city were fairly positive. On behalf of all of Tainan’s citizens, I would like to express my deepest gratitude to all the hard-working electoral staff.
(2) The election of the new mayor also officially symbolizes that the Tainan City Government will enter a handover period. All bureaus are required to prepare relevant policy planning, administration, personnel management, and budget property transfer in advance to assist the new city government cabinets in integrating seamlessly and quickly to serve the public.
2. Best destination for a touch of warmth in winter – Tainan
(1) The end of the year is around the corner. This year, the Tainan Christmas Lantern Festival will put up Christmas lights at popular spots such as the National Museum of Taiwan Literature, Sinying Cultural Center, Cahamu Park, Sinying Railway Station Square, and Hai’an Road Art Street. Lighting and performance activities organized by the general public will also be held to convey the image of happiness, warmth, and peace in Tainan.
(2) In addition, from December 1 to 9, the first Taiwan Design Week series will be held at the Blueprint Culture and Creative Park, Silks Place, and Plaza 7, where citizens and visitors can participate in this grand party and experience the charm of design in Tainan. Recently, the 2018 Tainan International Foto Festival was held for the first time. The theme of the festival was “Kun-shen Unveiled,” and it was exhibited in Siao-Long Cultural Park, one of the most important contemporary art outlets in the country. Everyone is invited to take a trip to Siao-Long, it is definitely worthwhile!
(3) After the delicious 2018 Tainan Food Festival came to an end, the Tainan Shopping Festival kicked off. This year, although coinciding with the election, its popularity was not reduced. A number of venues will be completed and opened by the end of the year, providing visitors and citizens with a good place to go to during the Chinese New Year. The best destination for a touch of warmth in winter is Tainan, where everyone is welcomed.
1. The Education Bureau’s report on building the National Taiwan Science Education and Future Experience Center (refer to written sources for details)
Decision: Approved for reference filing
(1) So far, Taiwan has five national science and education venues established in the north and south, but such services are not provided in the Yunlin, Chiayi, and Tainan area. The government has actively strived in this project to improve the quality of science education services for the region’s 3.35 million people, create a lifelong learning environment, and to continuously promote equal regional development. Premier Lai of the Executive Yuan announced on September 16, 2018, that the National Taiwan Science Education and Future Experience Center will be built at Southern Tainan’s Second City Center. In the future, we will work with Southern Taiwan Science Park, Shalun Green Energy Science City, and 18 colleges with the advantage of abundant industry-university resources, such as National Cheng Kung University, to build a scientific education center for an innovative generation.
(2) The core value of the National Taiwan Science Education and Future Experience Center is to popularize smart technology education by using six major principles of technology, history and culture, science education, exhibition, research, and experimentation. It will integrate AR/VR techniques to introduce the historical development of Tainan, and employ a technological, interactive and artistic approach to demonstrate the landscape of Tainan’s future as a smart city. It emphasizes the vision for Tainan to evolve from the Cultural Capital of Taiwan to an emerging, technological city. The museum will connect with Shalun Green Energy Science City and Southern Taiwan Science Park, becoming an industry-university cooperation exchange platform and providing people with an education venue for absorbing technological knowledge and learning about smart life.
(3) Recently, the Ministry of Education has sent a letter to the Tainan City Government, asking us to collaborate with National Cheng Kung University, museums on science, and industries and research resources in Southern Taiwan to undergo comprehensive planning and financial planning, for which the results will be submitted to the National Development Council for review. To accelerate the development of Southern Tainan’s Second City Center, the government will finish its comprehensive planning report as soon as possible and hope to allocate the budget in the fastest way possible, transforming Tainan from the Cultural Capital into an emerging technological city, promoting the application of smart science in the south, and growing Tainan into a smarter and happier city.
(4) The Education Bureau is requested to include the comments made by the other bureaus as reference for planning.
2. The Water Resources Bureau’s report on the achievements of Zhu River remediation (refer to written sources for details)
Decision: Approved for reference filing
(1) Zhu River is a historical and unique river. It is the only uncapped metropolis river in Tainan; thus, remediation is of great significance. The concept of Zhu River’s remediation includes: improving water quality to strengthen flood control, separating people and vehicles to improve traffic safety, abolishing the use of culvert-style engineering on the riverbed to restore the natural appearance of the stream, as well as retaining the Hahenar Ecological Forest to create an image of an urban oasis. Zhu River will become a new highlight of Tainan after the remediation work is completed. At present, the first phase of the waterfront park project is being carried out, and the second phase of the sports park project has also been openly tendered on the Internet. I would like to ask the Water Resources Bureau to continue its efforts and complete its goal of the first and second phases in 2019. In terms of the third phase of the life park project in Nanshan Cemetery, I would like to ask the Civil Affairs Bureau to continue active progress.
(2) The rebuilding of Zhu River symbolizes the setting sail of the hydrophilic environment in Tainan, which is a long-term task. After the completion of the right bank landscape project, the prototype of Zhu River’s rebuilding project can be visualized. A water purification site and interception facilities project is expected to be completed and in operation by the end of this year. The left bank landscape project will continue to show the appearance of the lake with a gentle slope. I would like to ask the staff members of the Water Resources Bureau to do their best and look forward to seeing clean water, fish, and a high-quality green waterfront space next year.
(3) I would like to thank Director Peng and the staff members of the Water Resources Bureau for actively striving for the central government’s funds. The first and second phases of the project are expected to receive a subsidy of NT $826 million. The Water Resources Bureau has made persistent efforts to create better quality for the city’s hydrophilic entertainment space. It is sustainable, encourages local industries, and practices the concept of an ecological city.
(4) The Education Bureau, Civil Affairs Bureau, and Cultural Affairs Bureau are invited to cooperate with the improvement of relevant facilities around the area. With the assistance of the Transportation Bureau and Bureau of Tourism, the area will become an integrated tourist attraction and a new highlight of Southern Taiwan.