1. Enhancing each containment measure for avian flu
(1) The body of a black-faced spoonbill was discovered in Annan District on December 1 and has been confirmed to have been infected with the highly pathogenic H5N6 subtype of avian influenza. The Animal Health Inspection and Protection Office has immediately enhanced the sterilization of the poultry farms and roads around the area and continued to monitor the status of fowls in the poultry farms around. The Office has also prohibited removal of fowl from farms within 5km radius of where the dead spoonbill was found, and is also taking samples for monitoring purposes as well as conducting on-site visits and consultations. The Public Health Bureau also monitors the health of the relevant personnel who picked up and transported the dead black-faced spoonbill.
(2) Many countries have faced the threat of avian influenza. I have also reminded farmers to raise the awareness and continue to implement all containment measures such as enforcing door access control for personnel and cars as well as utilizing proper cleaning and sterilization techniques, and to check the poultry house twice a day to prevent further outbreaks and spread of the disease. The H5N6 viruses are highly pathogenic to poultry but there has been no evidence proving that the viruses can be transmitted from birds to human and there has not been any case of human infections. There is no need for residents to panic.
(3) Winter is the season when the migratory birds fly south and avian influenza is more likely to have outbreaks. The Agriculture Bureau, Animal Health Inspection and Protection Office and the Public Health Bureau should closely monitor that and reinforce disease prevention alerts and actions to lower the risks of disease invasion and spread, proactively defend the health of residents and prevent agricultural losses. The Agriculture Bureau should review if the relevant staff and materials are sufficient again and hold the prevention preparation conference when necessary. The Agriculture Bureau should ensure to supervise each poultry farm to complete the self-protection measures and request assistance from Deputy Mayor Wu.
2. Expanding municipal international cooperation by visiting Japan
(1) To improve international friendship and strengthen municipal international cooperation, last week, I led the delegation of the city government to visit Aomori Prefecture, Hirosaki City, Miyagi Prefecture, Sendai City and Yamagata City in Japan and signed two important conventions including “Three-Party Exchange Memorandum among Tainan City-Aomori Prefecture-Hirosaki City” and “Agreement for Promoting the Friendship and Exchange between Tainan City and Yamagata City.” Tainan now has three more international friendship cities, and we will have deeper and further substantive exchanges with regards to agriculture, culture, tourism, sports, education and economy in the future.
(2) In this trip, we also visited Sendai City, Miyagi Prefecture, where we visited Sendai Municipal Arahama Elementary School damaged by the 311 Earthquake to communicate about experiences of re-construction after earthquakes. We visited Chairperson of the Miyagi Prefecture Assembly, Motoharu Nakajima, Mayor of Sendai City, Kazuko Kohri, and Chairperson of Sendai City Assembly, Norio Saito. The alliance between Tainan City and Sendai City was formed 11 years ago, and the parties are happy to further strengthen the cooperation with each other and continue to deepen the friendship between the cities.
(3) In addition, I also visited Governor Yoshihiro Murai in the Prefecture Hall of Miyagi Prefecture for an exchange of ideas on green transport and city governance. Since the cities signed the educational travel agreement in 2014, the frequent visits of students have been inspiring to students of the cities and we believe that the parties will have closer communication and interaction regarding green transport, disaster management, education and culture, and city governance in the future. Moreover, Sendai City now has two rapid transit lines, and one of them has begun to make a profit. The Bureau of Transportation may learn from Sendai City’s successful experience.
3. 2017 Tainan Christmas Light Festival has lit up the night in Tainan
(1) As Christmas is around the corner, the 2017 Tainan Christmas Light Festival has lit up. The city government installs Christmas lights and decorations around important nodes such as National Museum of Taiwan Literature, Xinying Cultural Center and Xinying Railway Station Square. This year, Sahamu Indigenous Park, Zhengxing Street and Xinmei Street have been included to add the feature of Tainan City and to create a heartwarming Christmas atmosphere. We look forward to delivering an image of the city of happiness and peace.
(2) The Christmas Light Festival of this year has been joined by churches, big companies, shopping streets, schools and authorities. Except for the different and creative Christmas decorations and lights, a variety of Christmas-related activities are held too. The Christmas Light Festival has become more meaningful with the collaboration of all parties this year.
(3) The Christmas Light Festival has become an important activity at the end of the year in Tainan and a popular photo spot. It has received great feedback from residents and tourists each year. We appreciate the hard work of Director-general Wang and our colleagues in the Tourism Bureau. I also invite residents and our friends from all places around the country to visit Tainan for the Christmas atmosphere during this period.
1. Department of Information and International Relations reports on the “2018 Tainan New Year’s Eve Party.” (please refer to written sources for details)
Resolution: Approved for reference filing.
(1) The year of 2017 will end soon, and 2018 is coming. For the past six years, we have combined Yunlin, Chiayi, Tainan, Siraya National Scenic Area and the Tainan feature to create the “New Year Trilogy,” which has been widely recommended and well known, and has become the featured New Year activity that people look forward to each year.
(2) Tainan’s New Year’s Eve Party has more than 210,000 participants last year, which was a record high. Holding the New Year’s Eve Party has become an important way to market the city, which not only attracts tourists but also promotes consumption and business. The Party also lets residents say good-bye to the past year and welcome the coming new year with a positive and proactive attitude. By experiencing the happiness of the New Year, the residents will have a sense of cohesion and pride for the city.
(3) Besides the strong hosts and performance cast, “2018 Tainan Heart Era New Year’s Eve Party” also invited Director Chiu Li-wei and the cat of Barkley the Cat, the film nominated for the Golden Horse Award of Best Animation as well as five career representatives of Tainan to count down with everyone for the New Year. We look forward to the participation of citizens.
(4) To ensure the success of the New Year’s Eve Party, the Department of Information and International Relations, Public Works Bureau, Police Department, Bureau of Transportation, Environmental Protection Bureau and district offices need to have the best preparatory and responsive measures in place for activity schedules, transportation, parking spaces, shuttle services, evacuation, sanitation, and security. I cordially invite citizens and friends from all over the country to participate in the unique Tainan “New Year Trilogy” so they can watch the sunset, enjoy the New Year Eve’s Party and welcome the sunrise together. We also encourage the head of each department and bureau to participate.