1. Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) 5nm plant progresses ahead of schedule, creating huge benefits for the city’s returning youths
(1) After the Tainan City Government and the Central Government worked together to solve difficulties pertaining to land use, water use, and electricity use, the construction of the new TSMC 5nm plant commenced at the end of January this year. Its office building and three factory buildings were constructed at the same time and on common grounds. The scale and construction speed of the base can be said to be the best worldwide. At present, there are about 5,000 staff members working on the 40-hectare site day and night. The steel structural beams are almost complete, and machines are expected to be installed at the beginning of next year, followed by mass production that is to begin in the year after the next.
(2) Since 1986, TSMC has rented land and built factories in Tainan Science Park. After 20 years of continuous expansion, the plant is currently about 70 hectares in size and employs approximately 10,000 employees. In addition to the 5 nm plant, the 3 nm plant is to be constructed within two years. Construction spanning another 70 hectares is estimated to be completed in eight years. Total investment will reach NT $1.11 trillion and will create 11,000 job positions in Tainan. I am grateful to TSMC for its continuous investment in Tainan. I would like to ask relevant business units to continuously provide necessary assistance for administration so that this significant and profitable investment project in Tainan can be completed on schedule.
(3) In addition to the TSMC investment case, I regularly organize major investment reports with business units to discuss other major investments in Tainan. Currently, there are 62 major investment cases with total investments reaching NT $167.3 billion. I hope that all department work hard to create a high-quality investment environment and attract high-quality enterprises to join us. Other than driving the economy, our children may also develop in their hometown, transforming Tainan into a truly livable city. I would like to ask Deputy Secretary-General Li to contact the Tainan Science Park Administration and TSMC and provide relevant information to enable TSMC engineers to relocate to Tainan. Next year, more than 7,000 technicians and engineers will be stationed at TSMC’s 5nm factory to install machines, creating a demand for short-term and medium-term housing. Thus, I would like to ask Deputy Secretary-General Li and the Bureau of Travel and Tourism to assist in this matter.
2. Building 1 of the Tainan Art Museum (TAM) opens, and Building 2 is hoped to be completed as scheduled with expected quality
(1) Sixty years ago, Tainan senior painter Guo Po-Chuan proposed the idea of establishing the TAM. This has also been a common expectation among Tainan’s art community and the general public. This wish was finally realized in 2018. Thanks to the support from the Central Government, the Cultural Bureau’s detailed planning, and the assistance from the arts and cultural circles, Building 1 of the TAM had a soft opening last week. Tainan citizens may enter for free until March 2019.
(2) The historic site of Building 1 of the TAM is situated at the original Tainan Police Station, across from the Confucius Temple on Nanmen Road. By restoring and reusing monuments, the Cultural Affairs Bureau carefully reconstructed the historic station into a new art venue. The change is most noticeable in the building’s appearance. Apart from removing the paint of the original brick red exterior wall, after renovation, it was discovered that the station’s original exterior is identical to that of the Hayashi Department Store. They even use the same tiles. After restoring the original yellow color of the “thirteen-ditch tiles,” the structure now exudes a unique charm both by day and by night.
(3) At present, Building 2 of the TAM is also under construction and is expected to open in December. I would like to ask Secretary Ye and the staff members of the Bureau of Cultural Affairs to continue to uphold the spirit of setting up Building 1 and have it completed and opened with expected quality within the established time schedule, handing in an excellent transcript for all these years of hard work.
1. The Economic Development Bureau’s report on the 2018 Tainan Shopping Festival (refer to written sources for details)
Decision: Approved for reference filing
(1) The Tainan Shopping Festival has entered its eighth year this year, and the Tainan Expo has been held for seven consecutive years with more exciting events year after year. The Tainan Expo, the series of themed events, and the consumer lottery have all received positive feedback from the public and the stores that have taken part in the festival. Since the beginning of the Tainan Expo, the number of participating stores has grown from 400 to 1,800, creating revenue that has grown from NT $500 million to NT $2 billion. Over 80% of the stores and the public were satisfied. The Tainan Shopping Festival is deeply rooted in the people and has become a major annual event in Tainan, demonstrating the eagerness and dedication of the Economic Development Bureau in event marketing.
(2) During the shopping festival this year, the Economic Development Bureau organized the National Dowry Pastry Creative Contest to invite stores from Tainan and students in Taiwan to use their skills and creativity to integrate cultural stories of dowry into Tainan’s specialty pastries. In addition, hotels, B&Bs, travel agencies, and food and beverage companies have cooperated to launch "follow-the-fun travel packages.” The packages offer three-in-one promotions by combining itinerary, accommodation, and souvenirs, hoping to enhance the overall benefits of the event.
(3) In order to encourage people to participate in the Tainan Shopping Festival, the Economic Development Bureau not only carefully maid plans for the lottery with luxurious cars and million-dollar prizes, but also utilized e-commerce platforms such as myfone, 17Life, and MOMO to jointly launch a mobile shopping program in which the public can easily shop at home via the mobile APP, expanding store visibility and business opportunities. Again, I would like to thank Director Yin and the staff members of the Economic Development Bureau for their efforts. I urge our colleagues to join us in the shopping festival from October 27 to December 31 and to recommend this festival to friends and relatives, so that the Tainan Shopping Festival this year will be once again successful.
(4) I would like to ask the Economic Development Bureau to please illustrate the content of the event in a simple image, and ask the Information Services Department to help promote the festival via LINE. Please reconsider the particularity and topicality of prizes to promote people’s willingness to participate in the event.
3. The Tourism Bureau’s report on its administrative achievements over the past eight years (refer to written sources for details)
Decision: Approved for reference filing
(1) Over the past few years, the number of tourists in Tainan City has exceeded 20 million per year, and the number of accommodating guests has exceeded three million. Under the leadership of Director Wang, the Tourism Bureau has eagerly promoted various tourism marketing activities both at home and abroad with outstanding results. In terms of domestic marketing, by using the themes of spring, summer, autumn, and winter, a year-long city marketing project was launched. In particular, the Guan Zi Ling Hot Spring Food Festival was continuously reinforced as a brand, and the Night Festival Tour and Anime Endorsement were employed to expand the source of customers and attract young people, adding a new touch to the traditional Guanziling hot springs. The number of tourists in the Guanziling area has exceeded one million in successive years, increasing the number of tourists visiting north of Zengwen River. In addition, the promotion of the Two-Night Stay in Tainan in May with the Second Night for Free policy incorporates 40 travel agencies and hotels in the city. As a result, tourism in May, traditionally the off-season for traveling, has achieved remarkable results. This is a very successful and creative marketing strategy.
(2) As for international tourism, over the past few years, direct flights to Hong Kong, Osaka, and Vietnam have been successfully promoted, and Tainan Airport has been upgraded into an international airport. Thus, Tainan’s international exchanges have been broadened. The warmth and depth of the people in Tainan are presented in an innovative and profound manner, successfully attracting international visitors from Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, and Thailand. There have already been considerable achievements, and it is believed that with continuous investment, Tainan will become a well-known destination for international travelers.
(3) In addition, the Tainan Twin City Tourist Area is the first legally announced sightseeing area in the country. At present, the number of legal B&Bs has reached 153, giving tourists more diversified accommodation options. Internet technology was also used to boost promotions. For example, we launched the Tainan Fun Card and Tainan Travel Network; partnered with TripAdvisor, the world’s largest travel review site; engaged in social media marketing; and launched live online travel services. In addition, innovative game tours combined with Pokémon Go, an immensely popular game, have also been organized to attract visitors. The Tainan Canal Cruise that had been suspended for nearly half a century has been reopened. Punts were introduced to overcome the bridge height limit, restoring the glory of the Tainan Canal. In addition to overcoming a number of difficulties, the completion of the BOT case of Anping Waterscape Park Sightseeing Hotel, and the near completion of the investment of the BOT case of Hu Tou Pei Lakeside Hotel all show the devotion and creativity of the Tourism Bureau. I would like to thank Director Wang for leading the staff members of the Tourism Bureau. I hope that the Tourism Bureau continues to cultivate tourism in Tainan, transforming Tainan into a well-known tourism paradise at home and abroad.